I’ve rejected all three offers.
This caused quite a stir on Twitter when I first posted, but of course I was about as informative as the line before the jump. I’m evil like that.
SF Money Musings asked if I’d be willing to give a rundown on the situation, so here it is:
I wrote before that I’d gotten 3 offers. One was here in LA, two were in Virginia. The LA job and one of the VA jobs were lateral – no raise, no promotion. The other involved both a raise and a promotion.
I wrote up an elaborate pros/cons list for all 3 jobs. They were tied.
Job #1 is the one with both a raise and a promotion. I described this after my interview as my dream job, but when they called to offer it to me, they said it would be a little different. I asked around, and apparently the job was on an intense program notorious for 12-hour days. The work would have been interesting, but the job would have been my life.
Job #2 was the one here in LA. The work would have been interesting, and it easily has the most transferable skill set (I wouldn’t be restricted to the aerospace industry, which means I would be less geographically restricted in the future). Financially it would be the smartest decision: Chad would still be able to work at his current job. However, Chad and I had been talking about moving back to the East coast, and I’ve always love Virginia.
Job #3 was with a group I’ve worked with before. I spoke to the hiring manager, who moved up the planned dates of interviews so that he could get me an offer in time (should they decide to offer it to me). Despite the fact that I had just made them jump through a bunch of hoops, they liked me! The offer came, but it was lateral – no raise, no promotion – which would be unworkable since Chad would have to quit his job to move to VA with me. You couldn’t support 2 people with what they offered. I tried to negotiate, but I sent in one counteroffer and they never responded (yay, corporate bureaucracy!)
Through all of this, the hiring manager for Job #3 stayed involved, and that’s what really made me decide I wanted to take Job #3. When my attempts at negotiation sputtered, they decided to repost the job requisition at a higher level, with one of the managers who interviewed me giving me his home phone number so he could tell me to apply.
I think I’m making the right decision, even if I did just throw away a sure thing (3 of them) for a “probably.” It’s scary, but in the end I think it will be worth it.