I checked my email yesterday morning, and my attention was immediately drawn to an email from someone I interviewed with nearly a month ago (the Subject line had multiple exclamation points). I opened it and he was telling me not to accept the other offer. I was confused; what other offer?
Less than a minute later, I had the other offer.
I spoke briefly to him on the phone, and he told me that they didn’t want to lose me and he would get me an official offer by Friday.
So now I have 2 job offers, and I don’t know what to do.
Job #1 is in Virginia, and is fairly close to my dream job. It also comes with a promotion and presumably also a pay raise (not sure how much yet). Chad and I have been looking at moving back to the East Coast, so while the timing is slightly off, it’s really a good chance. However, Chad doesn’t have a job in Virginia. With the job market, we’re a little worried about his chances, although he’s bright and I doubt it would take too long. We’ve also gotten really close to some friends of my sister who live in San Diego. We’ve spent Thanksgiving and Easter with them, and we always joke that we’re each other’s “West Coast family.”
Job #2 is on the same campus as my current job. It would be a lateral move: no promotion, no pay raise. (This, by the way, is fair. I technically don’t have enough years of experience to be promoted. Job #1 is counting my experience at my current (unrelated) job; Job #2 isn’t.) The work would be fun and engaging, although it wouldn’t be my dream job. It is less of a niche position, though, and I could take that experience to other industries. Chad would still keep his job, and life would go on as it has.
My current job will promote me if I stay. I don’t really like it.
So my choices are the following:
Take Job #2. Live life as usual, and worry about moving back to the East Coast in a few more years. We continue doing nothing on the weekends, because that’s what we do. We go to San Diego once a month or so.
Take Job #1. I move, and Chad stays in California until he finds a job in Virginia. If he doesn’t find a job by the wedding, he moves to VA to be with me. We’re both lonely and probably not saving very much extra (but still some extra!) since Chad will have to buy a car & we will be paying 2 rents.
Take Job #1. Chad and I both move, and get to take a road trip across the country. He tries to find a job once we’re there. He either gets COBRA or we have a quickie wedding in Vegas so he can be covered under my insurance. We wax nostalgically about how we wasted our time in California, and miss going to the beach. We suddenly have vacation time because visiting our parents can be a weekend trip. We miss my sister and all her friends.
The independent PF blogger in me says to go for the money & the dream job. The guilty worries-about-others-more-than-herself part of me wants to stay here, so we don’t have to miss any of our friends and Chad doesn’t have to be uncomfortably unemployed. The insecure part of me thinks about keeping my current job, because even though it makes me unhappy, I worry that I’m not smart enough to do anything else.
I know that no one can make this decision for me, but if anyone has some wise words to share, they would be greatly appreciated.